About Our History
Historic Hakuba Village Residence “Shouya Maruhachi“
“Shouya Maruhachi“ was the residence of the Yokosawa family, a local wealthy merchant. It was built in the end of Edo period (circa 1850) and was reconstructed and remodeled several times during the Meiji, Taisho, and Showa eras. It opened for use in December 2008 after a renovation project started in 2007. Much of the original lumber remains in the current building, and the warmth of the wood can be felt when entering. The central pillar in the middle of the building at the divide between the earthen and the wooden floors is the only place in the entire construction where zelkova wood has been used. Aside from this central pillar, most of the lumber used in the rest of the building is pine, said to be cut from the local mountains. The building also features different entrances and drawing rooms, which are believed to have been used to distinguish the relative ranks of guests such as wealthy farmers and merchants. There are three entrances. The southwest-side entrance was for receiving special guests, another south-side entrance was for summer. Because Hakuba village receives heavy snow falls which has a habit to slide off roofs and block entrances, the east side entrance was for winter. The alcove ceiling, the tokonoma of the Shoin style of construction, along with the decorative transoms carved from single planks of hinoki, or Japanese cypress, evoke the luxury of the time.
"Main entrance" "Sugi-tama a.k.a Sakabayashi"
"Irori fire place" "horigotatsu"
"a hallway" "Tokonoma of the Shoin style"